Adding comments to a pdf-file by Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader can be used to create comments in a pdf-file. When you subsequently open such a file a window titled "Document status" opens up, which says that the file has additional capabilities for adding of comments enabled – attaching notes to text, highlighting, underlining and crossing out of text, attaching an external file, saving the document together with all notes, exporting and importing of comments. This window must close before you can work with the document, but an icon remains in the lower left corner of the Acrobat Reader screen as an indicator of the additional capabilities of the file.
Inserting comments into a document
Comments can be added at any point in the document by the commenting toolset.
To open the toolset, needed to create comments, one can proceed in either of the following ways:
- Menu selection: Menu->Toolbar->Commenting
- Toolbar selection: Review & Comment
To select a particular comment creation tool you must either click on the tool itself oy on the arrow to the right of the tool (to select variations of the tool).
The first one is the "Note tool", which serves to add notes. They can also be formatted in the usual way. Sequence:
- From "Commenting" select "Note tool".
- Click at a point in the document, which is appropriate for notes, ir drag the tool until a sufficiently large window is created.
- The notes are written in the outlined window. Alternatively, you can use the text selection tool "Т", to copy text from the pdf-file.
- Once note writing is finished one closes the window by clicking on "?" in the upper right corner of the window. Closing the window does not delete the notes. The closed window can be moved by the "hand" tool, and can be deleted by pressing the "Del" key.
The second one is the "Stamp tool". It can stamp one of the available stamp patterns by clicking on the arrow to the right of the stamp icon and selecting the appropriate pattern. Then you click on the respective point in the document. The size of the stamp can be scaled by the mouse.
The third tool highlights, underscores or crosses out text.
- Click on the arrow to the right of the tool.
- Select the required text marking option – "T", "T" или "T".
- The desired text is selected by the mouse to apply the selected marking option.
- If you need to add to the marked text you have to select the "hand" tool, click twice on the marked text and the alredy described text input window appears.
- Marked text is deleted by pressing the "Del" key, when it is selected by the mouse.
The fourth tool serves to attach external files to a particular point or word in the document. Files of any type can be attached, but whether the next user will be able to open thme depends on the specific configuration of his/her computer. The work procedure is as follows:
- Click on the fourth tool in the toolbox.
- Click on the point in the document, to which to associate the attached file.
- A dialogue window opens up, with enabled browsing of the computer files. Selection is performed by a double click.
- A "File Attachment Properties" window appears, where you select the type of the icon, which will appear in the pdf-file at the point the external file is attached.
- The icon this created can be deleted whenever selected by pressing the "Del" key.
The properties of all tools, like colour, icon type, note text formatting, can be changed by opening form the menu View->Toolbars->Properties Bar. A new tool bar appears on the screen, which contains the properties of the tool currently selected.
Exporting and importing of comments
When exporting comments an fdf-file is created, containing comments only.
- Select from main menu: Document->Comments->Export comments.
- In the open directory window with files browse to the directory where the file will be saved.
- The file name suggested can be changed if necessary.
- Select "save".
Importing of comments is the reverse action – inserting of pre-created comments into the documents.
Saving the file with comments
- Select from the main menu: Document->Comments->Import comments.
- From the open file browsing window select the file with comments, which will be imported – an fdf-file.
- Press "select".
After all comments have been added the file can be saved by selecting form the main menu: File->Save (to save with the same name) or File->Save as (to use another name).